The Baba Atomic Research Institute (BARC) has developed a technology for removing fluoride from groundwater using alumina. This process can be also used to upgrade community level alumina based de-fluoridation plants.
Some of the main advantages over previous attempts at this process include;
- Easy to setup: Setup involves flow under gravity from a height difference of 3 feet.
- Fast Process: Flow rate of water treated is 45 LPH for 1 kg alumina, ~15x.
- Safe Chemicals: Safe chemicals were used for all steps.
- Cyclic & Single Reactor: All the steps involved in 3 cycles i.e. pre-treatment of alumina, fluoride removal from water, and regeneration of alumina were performed inside a single reactor.
The Costing estimated for 2000 litres of treated water per day:
- Total investment cost for alumina, overhand tank, pump, and pipes – ₹13,000
- Raw material cost per day 2000 L- ₹781
- Alumina to be used as procured (1 kg – ₹100)
- Regeneration via acid/base, produce solution discarded
- Fluoride in treated water <1.5 ppm
- Regeneration capacity is ~ 100%
This technology has a TRL of 4
For further details contact: Bhabha Atomic Research Centre,
Trombay, Mumbai – 400 085 India , Telephone: +91-22-25505050 / 25592000, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org