The Bhabha Atomic Research Center is offering technology for Chlorine dioxide (ClO2), which is a very effective biocide for drinking water disinfection and biofouling control.
It is an EPA and FDA approved biocide, which under proper generation conditions, unlike chlorine, does not produce halogen-substituted by-products called Trihalomethane (THMs) which are known carcinogens. It is more effective than chlorine and chloramines for inactivation of all types of microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoans, including Cryptosporidium and Giardia. However, unlike chlorine, it needs to be generated in situ as it cannot be stored or transported.
BARC developed technology “ChLorine dioxidE releAsiNg polymer (CLEAN)” which has eliminated the biggest constraint of in situ genration of chlorine dioxide. CLEAN is biodegradable polymer based chlorine dioxide releasing polymer which can be used for “on demand” water disinfection. CLEAN can be synthesized for predetermined dose and dose rate of chlorine dioxide by altering its constituents. Being completely biodegradable, it does not create any environmental pollution.
- CLEAN polymer utilizes the potent antimicrobial property of chlorine dioxide without limitation of requirement of its resource intensive on site generation.
- There are few distinct advantage of chlorine dioxide over other biocides such as;
- it remains in dissolve gas form and therefore it has better penetration and thus has effective killing ( including biofilm).
- The disinfection efficiency of chlorine dioxide is not influenced by pH and organics present in water.
- The disinfection process does not lead to generation of THM or DBP’s.
- The control over release rate of chlorine dioxide makes this polymer a unique formulation which can be used for water disinfection application having variable time period (i.e., disinfection in 15 mins to a sustained release up to 15 days).
- The polymer is biodegradable and upon degradation converted into fatty acid which can be easily metabolized by human.
- The CLEAN polymer composite can be used for water disinfection under various conditions.
- It can be used to preserve water for longer duration (water storage tank, overhead tanks, water transportation etc).
- Similarly this can also be used as “on the go water” purifier where one can get water purified (pathogen free) in less than 15 minutes.
- Industrial grade raw materials required for CLEAN manufacturing are easily available in local market and can be purchased at bulk rate.
- A chemical laboratory having fume hood, industrial lyophilizer and basic microbiological analysis facility is required for manufacturing of CLEAN
- One trained person having degree in Chemistry and one person having degree in Microbiology with two semi-skilled workers would be adequate for production of Chlorine dioxide releasing polymer unit
For further details, contact:
Head, Technology Transfer and Collaboration Division
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre,
Trombay, Mumbai 400 085.
Fax :+91-22- 25505151